I thought that a good resource for my readers would be a weekly (or so) status update on my action-steps, that way one day, when I have a couple hundred thousand followers new visitors will be able to go back to the beginning and watch the steps that I have taken to reach my goals from the start.
So since this is my first update, I’ll list the items I have completed since starting this blog back in September, which was step 1. The funny thing is, with the exception of the first item below, everything else has been done in the last week alone. I have been on a roll!
- I joined a mastermind group with 3 other amazing women bloggers. This has been an amazing experience so far. We have been feeding off of each other’s energy daily through shared links, documents and resources as well as daily posts through a really great online collaboration tool called Wiggio.
- Through the Mastermind, I was able to find the focus of my blog. Up until then, I didn’t really have a direction in which I wanted to go. I wanted it to be too many things.
- Last weekend, I found a new theme for my blog that I love and customized the look and feel a little bit to my liking.
- I re-wrote my About Me, About This Site pages and my intro bio in the sidebar. Added photos to all my posts. Re-categorized my posts.
- I configured the site to be just what I wanted and added new plugins.
- Re-coded my footer to contain 3 widget areas instead of none.
- Added feature to my comments to be able to subscribe just to that comment thread
- I wrote 3 new blog posts this week (including this one). This is going to be my biggest challenge.
- After hemming and hawing for 3 months, I finally bought the premium WordPress theme I wanted for our website, CityVids.tv. The awesomeness of this is that the day I decided to buy it, they just so happened to have a Cyber Monday sale going on, which made my $70 theme only $56, plus I got 4 bonus premium themes to choose from for future sites!
- I stayed up til the wee hours to configure the new CityVids.tv site because I was so excited.
- Made a lot of progress on configuring the community piece of CityVids.tv. which will launch before the end of the year!
- Through helping a friend get her WordPress site set up, I figured out what my side business is going to be: helping other bloggers get self-hosted WordPress sites set up, configured, and designs customized.
- I also thought of an idea for a future e-book. I’m not going to go into it now, you’ll just have to wait and see!
- Met with another blogger friend, Julie, to brainstorm and find ways we can work together and meet our goals.
- I could swear there was more, but I am drawing a blank.
4 Lessons learned from this week’s action steps
- Masterminds are EXTREMELY helpful in providing motivation to get things done. Start one if you can.
- Discovering what you’re passionate about is also very helpful in providing that motivation!
- Facebook is not as fun when you have something driving you to take action.
- WordPress is so darn versatile if you know a little bit about code
And I’ll leave you with a little story of inspiration: Nina Yau of Castles in the Air, just left Corporate America FOR GOOD this week! Read her story of freedom and watch her video here.