Is anyone still out there? I know I’ve been terribly neglectful of this blog and my fellow bloggers for quite a while now and I sincerely apologize. What you may not know is that I am currently 5 months pregnant with my first baby (a boy)! I am also getting married in less than 3 weeks down in Costa Rica and still have a full time job. So needless to say, I’ve been a little busy and distracted.
Another reason for walking out on it is I started to wonder where this blog was going and felt that I was a little too all over the place to carry on as is. The problem is I have so many different interests and life goals and I think I was just mashing them all up here. It started to get confusing to me so I can imagine how confusing I must have come off to you, my readers! To sum up what I started doing with this blog, check out this highly personal post by Corbett Barr: The Grand Internet Business Idea that Didn’t Succeed and you’ll get an idea of where I was going….nowhere.
In any case, I’ve still been thinking about what’s next for me as I know that staying in my job for an undetermined amount of years is NOT any option for me. Just when I was starting to get overwhelmed and flustered again, I got this email newsletter the other day from Corbett Barr’s (man I love that guy!) Think Traffic website about the Million Dollar Blog Project. I won’t reiterate the challenge, you can just read about it there. If you haven’t heard of this amazing project, you should seriously consider joining in, it’s just getting started!
And I thought….well this is just the kind of challenge I need: A community of people all doing something big together! Here are the rules:
- a topic that will be fun to blog about. (doing something fun makes it so much easier to succeed).
- a topic that represents a burning desire or pressing problem. The easiest way to build a business online is to solve a problem or fulfill a desire. The stronger the desire or more pressing the problem, the better.
- a topic that I already have some knowledge of and interest in, or that I can become knowledgeable in relatively quickly.
- evidence that money can be made around this topic. We want to know that opportunity exists within this market before we jump in.
I’ve decided to use this blog as a space to journal my progress to keep me accountable and so here I am. So without further ado, here are some ideas I have been kicking around for some time now and want to pick one for this million dollar blog project, but I am so open to whatever. If you have any ideas for blog topics that you would love to know more about, I am all ears.
- I have a love for graphic design, interior design and web design and while I am much better at the latter, I would love to just blog about pretty graphic-type stuff and color combinations I come across. I’d love to tie it in with babies somehow, like nursery design, matching shower invitations and birth announcements and baby/pregnancy websites. I also am currently designing a custom week by week maternity book for my baby and thought I could offer ideas or services surrounding that as well? Maybe use my blog to convince mommy bloggers why they should switch to WP and offer them services on how to do that.
- Zero Waste Living blog. A site that chronicles ways to attain a zero-waste lifestyle in all aspects of life: raising children, travel, parties, weddings, shopping/dining out, pets, home, etc.
- Eco-tourism (and what it really means to be an eco-tourist). Especially since everyone claims being eco nowadays! What does eco actually mean and how to identify whether a company isn’t as eco as they say they are. Eco-tourism is exploding but how do WE become eco-tourists, making as small a footprint as possible when we travel?
This last one I am particularly interested in as my fiance and I are also in the midst of planning an eco-friendly bungalow community in Costa Rica. I think that if I could tie my blog into that business, all the better!
So what do you think? Do any of these ideas seem viable or interesting to you? I would love to know your thoughts.