One of the biggest reasons I had for starting this blog was so that I could share with you the steps I take to create an extraordinary life for myself.
What’s an extraordinary life?
An extraordinary life is one that is fulfilled through joy, freedom, self-expression, and love. It’s funny, but it just recently dawned on me that I was going about it the wrong way. So how exactly does one achieve this utopic existence of an extraordinary life?
Yup! No matter how busy you are or how tapped out you may feel, giving is the one true way to an extraordinary life.
I know what you’re thinking: “I don’t have the time nor energy to give anymore, I already give everything I have to my spouse, my children, my job, my home.” I know this, because I say this all the time. Just ask my fiancé.
I want to share something with you that I have thinking about for quite some time. Something I just started working on recently. It’s my Legacy Project.
You can make something beautiful that will outlast you…You can help others in a way that is unique to you…Remember: we all get one life to live. You might as well take it seriously, and a legacy project will ensure that what you bring to the world will continue to be valuable for a long time.
My own Legacy Project is long term and what I have planned for it won’t happen for quite some time, however I want to start using my blog as the platform in which to grow towards my dream of making some real change in this world we live in.
This post is step one.
The Starfish Challenge
What is the Starfish Challenge? To understand where this comes from, you first need to read the short Starfish Story real quick, then hit your back button and continue reading below.
Still with me?
Great! Now try this on for a second:
The list of items below is a collection of small acts of kindness you can perform that won’t take too much effort, but can make a world of difference to someone else. For the next 30 days, pick one of the items from the list below and do it. You don’t have to do all of them and you can repeat items if you wish, but pick at least one item from the list each day for at least the next 30 days.
Once you’ve completed this little act of kindness, please tweet about it using the #starfishchallenge hashtag!
- Pick up spare change and donate it to charity.
- Don’t use any disposable products today (bottled water, take out containers, pasticware, coffee cups, etc).
- Smile at everyone you pass today.
- Donate rice through FreeRice.com. You don’t have to donate your money, just take a little time to answer super simple vocabulary questions at the site.
- Find a cause to volunteer for through VolunteerMatch.
- Hand out flowers to people in a nursing home.
- When it’s time to replace one of your regular products, trade it in for fair trade products.
- Pick up trash on the ground for a day.
- Click to give donations to: Animal Rescue, Rainforest Preservation, Literacy, Free Child Healthcare, Free Mammograms to prevent Breast Cancer and Free Food for Hunger once a day.
- Give a lottery ticket to a stranger.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen today.
- Make someone you care about smile.
- Turn off your computer and monitors tonight before you leave work to save energy.
- Donate toys to a children’s hospital or used toys to the Goodwill.
- Give someone a compliment today!
- Loan money to an aspiring entrepreneur half-way across the world through Kiva.org.
- Give blood today.
- Become an organ donor.
- Go to your local animal shelter and play with the animals, give them love, or take one home!
- Donate books to the public library.
- Check out OperationBeautiful.com, then put up stickies in public places making people feel good about themselves: “Hello Beautiful!” “You look fabulous just the way you are!” etc.
- Host a party where guests bring something to donate (cans of food, winter coats, etc.)
- Change at least one lightbulb in your home to a CFL lightbulb to save a little energy.
- Put money in someone’s meter (but don’t get caught!)
- Turn off the computer and go play with your son, daughter, spouse, cat, dog!
Ready? Awesome! Do at least one thing from this list every day for the next 30 days and tweet about it using the #starfishchallenge hashtag.
Let’s spread the goodwill around Twitter!
But first things first, what are you going to do today? Do you have more suggestions that weren’t listed above? Leave a note in the comments below and let us know!